About Us

St. Maximilian Kolbe, Our Parish


Church Evolution Banner
Polish Banner – 1906

St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish is the result of a merger of three area parishes. St. Louis (Abrams) and St. John Cantius (Sobieski) were established by farm families with deep roots in their Polish and Roman Catholic heritage. St. Joseph (Chase) was a Mission Parish of St. John Cantius.

From approximately 1988-2017 Father Gerald Prusakowski OFM was pastor of all three parishes. He is a member of the Franciscan Friars, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Province. At that time the Province headquarters was in Pulaski.

In 2006, with changing population in the area and struggles to maintain each parish, the three parishes decided the time was right to merge. At a very meaningful Lenten sacrifice, all three parishes were closed during Lent, 2007. A new parish, St. Maximillian Kolbe Parish, was created during the Easter Vigil. Three streams of holy water cascaded and blended into a font as special prayers were lifted to our Lord to unite the three parishes into one new parish.

From 2011-2017, we were linked with St. Benedict Parish in Suamico and St. Pius Parish in Little Suamico. The Franciscan Friars and Bishop Ricken assigned Father Everard Scesney as Parochial Vicar to assist our pastor, Father Gerald.

On July 1, 2017 the link with St. Benedict and St. Pius was dissolved. Fathers Gerald and Everard also retired from parish ministry. The Diocese assigned Fr. Antonio de los Santos as our pastor. Father Tony came to us from the Philippines.

Father Tony was re-assigned in August, 2020. The Diocese decided to link our parish with Holy Trinity Parish in Oconto. The Diocese assigned another international priest, Fr. Francis Nusi, as our pastor. Father Nusi serves both parishes and is from India.

St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish has been blessed with the leadership of good and holy priests who, inspired by St. Maximilian Kolbe, sacrifice to provide for our spiritual needs.

St. John Cantius
St. Louis